The first step to house sitting success is your choice of house sitting platform. But if you don’t know the qualities to look for, choosing a site from among the plethora of platforms can be daunting – especially if you’re a first timer. Our side-by-side comparison of Features, Functions and Prices of house sitting websites will help you review and self-select the one best for you.
Home Owners must register with a house sitting website to connect with those on the other side of the fence, but are able to view profiles of House Sitters’ without joining up. There is a growing trend among house sitting sites to charge home owners to register. However most of the sites showcased by Compare House Sitting® allow Home Owners to register and list, for free.
EITHER….watch the email applications roll in via the sites’ messaging system. You will most likely receive applications within a few hours, particularly if your ‘sit’ is in a sought after destination and/or is for a long period of time. Once you have a good selection, you might want to suspend your ad. If later you want more applications, simply re-activate your ad.
OR……search registered house sitters and contact them direct. All good sites have sophisticated search functions which allow you to narrow the search parameters e.g. Available Dates (Booking Calendar), Preferred location/s, Pet preferences (dogs, cats, birds, rodents, fish), Duration (short term, long term).
It is very important home owners give prospective house sitters as much information as possible about their house sitting job and to post photos of your home and pets. Short, vague ads will mean you waste time sorting through unsuitable applications. The more information you give, the easier it is for potential house sitters/s to rule themselves out, saving you (and them) time. An ad that reads “Lovely house with pool and friendly cat & dog need house sitters over Christmas” is not much help. Some of the things house sitters need to know before applying for house sitting jobs are:-
- Type of home & location Inner city apartment, suburban home, remote farm.
- Sitter’s accommodation Main bedroom, separate cottage, their van.
- Special considerations Does your home have a lot of steps? Inside & out? Is the driveway very steep or slippery in wet weather?
- Your Pets Dogs, cats, fish, horses, hens, guinea pigs. NB: Specify breed and age of Dogs! Read more
- House sitting jobs Responsibilities in and around the home.Read more
- Your expectations “I’m fastidious around the home and seek someone like minded” OR “I simply want my fur family fed & loved.”
Credit: Compare House Sitting